Monday, June 9, 2008

I should never have doubted you

Readers have been tipping me to the fact that the legislature has cut the flat fee for dependency cases by 20% for several weeks now, but I was never able to find it in writing. Why, because reading the appropriations bill conference report is like....well, think of something boring and frustrating at the same time...like trying to participate in a permanency staffing, or kissing someone you don't even like who is much shorter than you are.

Anyway, it's there, and it's true. Our flat fee of $1,000 for the first year of a dependency case is going down to $800 in just over three weeks.

I'm not going to rant here about the legislature's shortsightedness, lack of understanding of opportunity cost, or inability to grasp the true cost, fiscal and otherwise, of having any child in foster care who might not have been with a skilled and prepared defense of her parents.

I will wonder both aloud and internally how much longer I will stay in dependency defense, and wonder how long you will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say we all resign at once statewide. That will teach them.

Anonymous said...

Nice thought but the legislature won't care. It doesn't affect them enough or get enough press. The answer will be to get any attorney who will take the cases regardless of ability. I for one am out as soon as I can either get another job or diversify enough to be able to pay the bills.

ArrMatey said...

I am with anonymous #2, unfortunately. Or at least I'm heading that way, which is a real shame after buying a website called dependencydefense.com