Thursday, April 3, 2008

Friday musings -- and more on ethics complaint

First, the musings. I was on shelter duty today (Thursday) and noticed a couple of things. The first thing I noticed was that I had a new case that was truly significant. "Medical neglect" is a tricky thing when it is parents and one set of doctors vs. a 20-something social worker who has a doctor to consult who has a different opinion. Those are enormously important cases. It didn't go the way I'd hope, but I got a shelter review out of it and another three days to prepare for the next round. The second thing I noticed was something that I'd not noticed for the first time: I argued. I argued law and facts. I engaged the Department and challenged the judge. I presented testimony.

The attorney for the regional counsel didn't say a single word. Not one, though her client had the same position and concerns as my client had.

I'm just saying. If I'm right about this particular case and it gets dismissed, for my flat fee of $1,000 I'll not only save a family from being torn apart and a baby from enormous trauma, I'll save the taxpayers of Florida a big pile of cash. And people will still say that private counsel are the single biggest drain on the system.

OK, having indulged myself in posting that, I'll begin to serialize the email I got the other day. I've talked with some of the people involved, including the author of the ethics complaint. I have permission to post it here.

I am not including any names in what I reproduce here, because that's not the point. I don't care about politics or personalities; I care about the dependency defense system operating well. There are some lessons to be learned from what I'm going to post, even when keeping in mind that there are two sides to ever story.

Serialization part one (this is a complaint sent to the Governor's inspector general and to the Florida Bar by a former employee of one of the Regional Counsels):

"After a longstanding professional relationship with (defense attorneys A and B), private attorneys hired as Chief Assistants of the Civil Division to (an RC), in October 2007, I accepted a position with the RCC as a Managing Attorney for the (X)Judicial Circuit in the Civil and Mental Health Division. At that time the new office was facing litigation claiming that (RC's) appointed position was unconstitutional. My office employment began in January 2008 although I attended organizational meetings at the (attorneys A and B) law office prior to that.

The position that I accepted was to be based out of (a town) Florida although I was
responsible for court coverage of the civil cases in (three other) Counties. I was told that until the (town) office opened I would be reimbursed for my mileage and would work out of the (other, distant town) office.

However at the time of my hire, the RCC (X)District did not have an operating state office. The office was being set- up and run out of the private practice owned and operated for over twenty years by the (law office of attorneys A and B). This office was located in (town #3) Florida. The (attorneys A & B) were responsible for the creation, organization and staffing of the civil division in (3 different circuits). (The RC), myself and the other managing attorneys were given keys to this private law office and allowed to use the office equipment and computers free of charge. The ( ) District RCC operated out of the private law office of (Attorneys A & B) from October 2007 until mid-January 2008 without any reimbursement for the use of the equipment or space.

I was further advised by (RC) of the challenges this new agency faced and I assured him of my willingness and commitment to the mission of the RCC. I agreed to take the position because of my knowledge and faith in (attorneys A & B) ethics and organization skills. They were willing to close their practice to work for the RCC and (RC) and that allowed me the faith and determination to leave my job and work with them in this new and exciting project. (RC) assured us of his desire to reward all who were willing to take on the challenges this office faced at the onset. The salary that was offered was lower than I requested but (RC) indicated that although he could not pay the requested amount, he would reward the attorneys who worked with him in the beginning to set-up this agency once he was up and running.

My commitment to this new agency extended to my following the lead of the Chief Assistants and agreeing to use my own resources to help with the new office. (RC) was having difficulty securing space for his new offices. We were required to continue to use our homes, cell phones, internet services, home computers and printers without reimbursement. The (attorneys A & B) and myself worked tirelessly to establish relationships in the 19th Circuit and to hire the attorneys needed to cover those four counties. We went about the administrative aspect of managing and setting up the only space finally secured in the ( ) Circuit in downtown (town # 4).

At the beginning of March 2008 the ( ) Circuits Civil Divisions were fully staffed and located in state leased office space. The staff in the ( ) Circuit were notified of a reorganization to the management of the office without my knowledge or presence. As Managing Attorney I was not consulted or notified and was not even present when the news was told to my staff. (RC) removed the (attorneys A & B) from their position in the ( ) Circuit and placed a long term friend, (Friend of RC)in charge of the ( ) Circuit’s Civil and Criminal Divisions . (RC) stated that he had overhired for the ( ) Circuit and he decided to reorganize management personnel and the manner in which the office operates. The friend that he hired possessed 6 months experience working in dependency law and was clearly without the necessary qualifications for the position.


[note: all parentheses denote redactions on the part of the author of this blog.]


Part two of the serialization to follow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

why are you changing the names? that is only done to protect the innocent. If this is the 4th DCA RCC than just say as much. it is important for the readers of this blog to know if someone they are dealing with is not on the up and up.

Anonymous said...

"one of the Regional Counsels" Truth will shield you from a libel action by the regional counsel in question but what shields you from a libel action by the other 4 RC's?

ArrMatey said...

Well, I was going to post something as to the first comment along the lines of our obligation as defenders to be consistent in our attitudes toward hearsay, etc., and etc., and then I realized that the "name names!" comment was posted by...anonymous...and I got a good smile that helped me have a good weekend.

Anonymous comment number two, on the other end of the spectrum, has me confused. The RCs are public officials. I've gotten information about some possible criticizable behavior by one of them. I have more than one source, but not personal knowledge of it, so I pass part of it on, being careful to couch it in terms of what standards we will hold the new system to and how much we ought to care about how it is all working.

And so the comment throws the fear of libel at me. I'm not buying it. If someone emailed me about a US Senator, and I got corroboration, and published that I was told that a US Senator may have done X and Y but don't say which one, then I am supposed to think that the other 99 Senators, all public officials like our RCs, have an action in libel?

Nah.

Anonymous said...

i imagine the reason that you get all anonymous postings is because its simply easier than the other options (i don't have a google/blogger username and password). but i'm happy that i helped you have a good weekend. now, back to the issue at hand. name names. private dependency defenders and people dealing with the regional counsels office should have all information pertaining to the ethics of these public officials. Sincerely, Jeremiah Mulligan.