Thursday, January 10, 2008

Regional Counsel shutdown confirmed

In the post below, we broke the news that the Regional Counsel offices will stop taking dependency cases by the end of the month and are directed to stop expending their budgets, at least on new matters.

It's now been confirmed.

First, from the absolutely wonderful court liaison for Orange County, I get this reply to my email breaking the news:
I got word from Regional Counsel—it is true. They will stop accepting dependency cases as of 1/31/08.


Then I got the following to my law firm's email address from someone in the know:
I posted the information on your blog earlier today about Judge Davey's ruling yesterday. I am a legal consultant working with FACDL in the 1088 challenge. The parties are working on a proposed order to reflect Judge Davey's ruling lifting the stay. As soon as it is finalized and signed, which I expect to be later today, I will let you know.


[thank you, sir]

This all raises a couple of questions, of course. First, the forms I've prepared and posted at various places on this blog and on the DependencyDefense.com website are pretty much moot, but to the extent that the RCs will be accepting new cases between now and January 31st, it's not a bad idea to keep using them. That is, it can't hurt.

Second, one wonders what will become of the employment of the various attorneys who have been hired by the RCs. I have no idea; I'll send out some emails and try to find out. I get no pleasure in what is at best an uncertain situation for them. I know that several of them are very well qualified and care about dependency defense and don't deserve to be in this situation. I also know that it is the fault of nobody in particular. I'm just noting it. If I get any good information, I will pass it on.

Third, it seems to me that the next step is to make sure that the testimony of experts in dependency defense are a part of the next time the Florida legislature revisits this whole thing. I've noted in earlier posts that there is a no such thing as a "Family Preservation Legal Services Association" or anything akin to the FACDL specifically for dependency defenders, but there ought to be. Let's talk to each other more and be better prepared to give competent expert information to the legislature when they look to fixing SB1088.

Fourth, today's blog traffic is at least quadruple what it normally is. Cool. As always, I invite you to leave comments or join the message board.

No comments: