Thursday, August 30, 2007

Update from the 2nd District Regional Counsel

I've sent two e-mail messages to four of the five newly appointed Regional Counsels (I cannot find an e-mail address for Mr. Lewis). So far, only Mr. Flyte, the 2nd District Regional Counsel has responded. Here is his message to me today:

Until we know if the Regional Counsel budget is intact or is being cut by up to 10% we cannot say how much we will be able to pay our attorneys. I do know that we can hire attorneys on a part-time basis which would allow them to keep their private practice and work out of their own offices. They would have to give priority to their Regional Counsel duties. Part-timers would be eligible for State of Florida benefits such as Health Insurance and Retirement. This should be a real incentive for many of the private Dependency and Criminal Conflict attorneys.
I will be contacting the Chief Judges in all the Circuits of my District to insure that I have information on all attorneys who do court-appointed work. I intend to offer this work back to the attorneys who have done it previously. Anyone reading the Dependency Defense Website who is interested in doing Dependency or Criminal Conflict cases in the 5 circuits, (6th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 20th) which make up the Second District Court of Appeals geographical area should contact my office at:

Jackson S. Flyte
Regional Counsel, Second District.
P.O. Box 1598
Bartow, FL 33831

We will need a State of Florida employment application and resume. We will be hiring as soon as we obtain office space in each circuit.

Jack Flyte
Regional Counsel, Second District


I replied with another question, and will pass on any more information that I get.

As a public service, for those looking for a State of Florida employment application, you can read the instructions here, or download a paper copy here.

No comments: