Thursday, October 25, 2007

A profile of the new defenders

In the post below, I linked to the article that confirmed that Grant & Samargya, LLC will take over all criminal conflict and all dependency cases in the counties of Citrus, Sumter, and Hernando starting November 1, 2007 (one week away from the time of this posting).

Congratulations to the firm for getting the contract, and I wish them well.

Here is their website. It is not very informative (in case you didn't click on the link, it simply says "coming soon"), so out of curiosity I did a whois search and found that the domain name was registered November 13, 2004. I urge these gentlemen to update their site as soon as possible, as a combined population of 373,320 people will be looking to them for answers about how the indigent will receive legal services.

Mr. Grant became a member of the Florida Bar in 2002. He was mentioned on an Orlando radio host's blog at this link (you have to scroll down a bit). Also at this blog post.

Milan Samargya became a member of the Florida Bar in 1994. Previously an Orlando attorney, it seems from simple google searches, and mentioned in this article. (Why this Florida story is in the Pocono Press, I can't imagine).

James Dozier (the lawyer to be hired by the firm to help with the conflict and dependency cases) became a member of the Florida Bar 17 months ago. I'm not sure what this search might mean.

I've sent email to Mr. Grant. If any of these three lawyers get in touch with me, I'll reproduce here anything they want me to. They've got a big task ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this firm contracted with JAC as would be court appointed counsel on the wheel or did they contract with Regional counsel??

ArrMatey said...

I understand that the three members of the firm are in fact part-time state employees, drawing a salary out of the Regional Counsel's budget, and as such are actually prohibited from also being on the wheel and getting paid by JAC for other cases.