Sunday, October 7, 2007

Cryptic

Today I got the following email message from one of the five Regional Counsels. Can any of you tell me what's going on?

Are you aware of the proposal submitted to the special session by the Public Defender Association last week? My office is hiring part -time experienced private attorneys to handle these cases. This allows them compensation and state benefits and retirement while still maintaining a private practice. This new PD proposal appears to be just like any other PD office that does not allow for any private practice. Your statement about "Experienced private attorneys are part of the solution" does not seem to be a part of the PD plan.

2 comments:

ArrMatey said...

Thanks for the update!

ArrMatey said...

I've deleted the original comment, because I can, and because I've made the decision on this blog to keep names out of it, at least until people are comfortable with being named as sources on this embryonic news source on Florida dependency defense. I'm including the original comment here, without names:

I just spoke with [attorney X], who identified himself as employed with the PD's office in Orlando. He said that the PD Association had previously proposed to take the first crack at dependency representation in all circuits and allow the Regional Conflict Counsel to handle any conflicts - similar to the way criminal cases will be handled.

This was proposed in the Special Session as a stopgap measure to stem the budget reduction the PDs were facing anew. Apparently this issue is too complicated for the Special Session as [attorney X] reports that the effort has stalled. He agreed to email me the written supporting documentation.