Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Jackson Flyte remains the only accessible Regional Counsel

It seems that I see a news story that mentions Jackson Flyte at least a couple of times a week. On the other hand, I've not read one sentence about any of the other four Regional Counsels.

Mr. Flyte is the only one of the five who has responded to three different email attempts to start a dialogue between this site and the new offices.

That is a shame, as the majority of the hits on this blog are from people doing searches for those people. I wish I had information to give you from these gentlemen, but I do not, except for and about Mr. Flyte.

In case one of them reads this, I'll renew my offer made to you in email to help you get the dependency portion of your office trained and running.

1st District: Jeffrey Lewis
2nd District: Jackson Flyte
3rd District: Joseph George
4th District: Philip Massa
5th District: Jeffrey Deen

In any event, Mr. Flyte is in the news, and it is interesting:

Though he's hired only a handful of attorneys so far — the office is supposed to be operational by Oct. 1, it's more likely it will be Jan. 1 — Flyte said he has a plan to lure private attorneys into jumping on board.
Despite heading up the position, Flyte admits the system is flawed. "It's just not feasible to do these kinds of cases," he said of death penalty cases, in which the state now pays $15,000 upon completion of the case, which can take years. "I was in the same boat myself. The pay is not anywhere near what I was making."
"It's going to be tough," Cary said. "I'm not really optimistic that it'll be pretty for a while."


I posted only the most interesting -- and pessimistic -- portions above. You should read the whole thing.

In any event, a plan for dependency cases is (there really must be a law against it or something) not mentioned in the story.

UPDATE: Mr. Flyte wrote me in regard to this post, and says he was not quoted accurately in the excerpt above. I'll pass on some of his thoughts in a later post. Also, I now think that my title for this post is a little harsh. I see that in a recent Florida Bar News article, four of the five Regional Counsels were interviewed. I'll post about that article above as well.

No comments: