Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The FACDL pulls the trigger

The Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers has filed a Quo Warranto Petition with the Florida Supreme Court seeking to enjoin the State of Florida from allowing the Regional Counsels to begin operating.

Here's a news story about it. Here's another one.

I like source documents, however. Here is a link to the FACDL's actual petition.

Stay tuned. I'm on record as thinking that going back to the old hourly system is not a hill worth dying on. I'm sure that many readers will disagree with me on that. I'd rather help make the new, clearly flawed, system find a way to work that preserves two things: 1. competent and effective representation of those accused by the state of child abuse, etc., and 2. opportunities for competent and experienced attorneys to continue to specialize in dependency defense.

Easy to say. Hard to do.

No comments: