Monday, May 5, 2008

"I was happy when I was happy and sad when I was sad"

The subject line is from a YouTube video of a former foster kid describing her state of normalcy when with her "regular mother" in contrast to when she was in foster care and drugged.

I'm plowing through several YouTube videos of foster care alumni primarily talking about, in their own words, having to take medication in foster care, among other issues.

That, in my opinion, is invaluable. For all the resources put into "giving children a voice", there is no replacement for, well, the actual voices of some of them, so I'm glad to see these making their way onto YouTube.

Below is a representative piece and is presented as a montage.



What really strikes me watching this is the extent to which these particular kids just didn't know what they were taking or why in any meaningful way (note the "goal in life" described by one young man at 4:36 in the video). This is a topic of growing concern for me lately, as I've got over forty children for whom I am Attorney ad Litem.

No comments: